Monday, October 6, 2008

Current Travel Plans

On December 1st 2008 I will be travelling to England.
The purpose of this trip is mainly to see my family- my dad is from England, so all of his family are there.
I will be staying with them the majority of the time in Ilkley, Yorkshire.
In January, two of my friends from Auckland, Daria and Julie will meet up with me and we will travel to London together by train. We will explore London for a couple of days...roughing it in a hostel...

and then embark on our tour of Europe with Contiki.

It is for 12 days, and visits 8 Countries. I will be seeing such sights as,

Amsterdam: See the canals, gable houses and city by night
Rhine Valley: Visit the riverside town St. Goar; Scenic drive along the Rhine River
Munich: See the Glockenspiel & Marienplatz; Visit a beerhall
Brenner Pass: Scenic drive past vineyards, orchards & castles
Venice: Private motorboat to the historic islands; Murano glass-blowing demonstration; See Piazza San Marco, Bridge of Sighs and the Doges' Palace
Rome: See Piazza Venezia, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Colosseum & Roman Forum
Vatican City: See St. Peter's Basilica
Florence: See the Duomo, Basilica Santa Croce, Giotto's Bell Tower, the Baptistry & Piazza della Signoria; Florentine leather craft demonstration; Walking tour with a local guide
Lucerne: See the Wooden Chapel Bridge
Burgundy: See the Chablis & Burgundy vineyards
Paris: Evening Tour of Illuminations; See the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the Champs Élysées, and Notre Dame Cathedral; Visit a French Perfumery

I will be doing this during the European winter, so it will be freezing.. But I think I am pretty prepared- I have been to England twice before during their winter.
I am really excited, its something I have being saving for for the past 2 years, while I was working in Australia, and it was a huge surprise for two of my friends to decide to join me.

Europe is such a fascinating place, and I can't wait to explore the history.







Images and Contiki Information Courtesy of:


3 comments:

dashb said...

Hey Lauren!
I'm really looking forward to our trip also. I haven't done much travelling so going with someone who seems to know what they are doing will be a comfort.

-Daria

Julie said...

I hope you have your winter thermals, gloves and hats ready lauren! we can go sledding, (schlitten!!!!!!), skiing, snow boarding, build snowmen+women, have snow fights and slide around like penguins.
the concept of travel is fascinating, the internet has also expanded and changed the world of travel-its crazy that we can book and do pretty much everything on the net these days..back in my day we had to get in our cars, and drive to the travel agent! I can now basically book my trip to europe in my bed.
what are you thoughts on the connection between the internet and travel lauren? would love to hear your thoughts

Lauren said...

Yes, that is a very good point. The internet has made it much more accessible and easy for us to travel and make all of our arrangements.
I don't know what the statistics are, but I am sure a lot more people have been traveling since the internet has been more wide spread over the past few years.